The Scene Out - Concerts and Other Events...
• Sir Cliff Richard, August 20, Fisherman’s Beach, Albufeira
• The Offspring, September 1, at Coliseu, Lisbon, 9pm. Tickets at 22.5E.
• Santos e Pecadores, September 4, at Portimão Riverside, at 10pm.
• Paco de Lucia - Flamenco spectacular, September 9 and 10, at Coliseu dos Recreios, Lisboa, 9.30pm; September 11, at Figueira da Foz Casino; September 12, at Coliseu, Porto, 9.30pm.
• Whitesnake, October 29, at Pavilhão Atlântico, Lisbon.
• Diana Krall, September 30, at Coliseu, Lisbon.
• Pedro Abrunhosa, September 9, at Du Arte Garden, Estoril Casino.
• Everlast at Paradise Garage on September 11. Tickets 20 euros. Call 210 036 300.
• Diana Krall, October 1, at Coliseu, Lisbon; October 23, Porto.
• Hoobastank, at Paradise Garden (Lisbon), on October 4, at 9pm. Tickets: 20e. Ticketline 210 036 300.
• The Eternal + The Prophecy + Alexandria, October 9, at Rockhouse Café, Alenquer.
• Rammstein, November 9, Pavilhão Atlântico, Lisboa.
Festival do SudoestE
Zambujeira do Mar
August 5 Soulwax, Divine Comedy, Rodrigo Leão (with Beth Gibbons), Adrian Sherwood Soundsystem, Manasseh Hi-Fi Feat. Brother Culture and Earl 16, Dubadelic Vibrations Feat. Prince Wandada.
August 6 Franz Ferdinand, The Dandy Warhols, Massive Attack, Clã, Los Hermanos, Mr. Gentleman, Navio Negreiro, Dezperados.
August 7 Groove Armada, Da Weasel, Zero7, Ash, Love with Arthur Lee, Groove Armada, Two Banks of Four, Koop, Mike Stellar.
August 8 Kraftwerk, Air, dEUS, Tim Boosh, Mercado Negro, Gomo, Dj Vargas
Tickets 30E to 50E
Paredes de Coura
August 16 Arrested Development, Culture, The Roots
August 17 Motor City (Mc5), Howe Gelb, Motorhead, LCD Soundsystem, Jon Spencer, Mark Lanegan,Josh Rouse
August 18 Scissor Sisters, Black Rebel, The Kills, Mark Eitzel
August 19 to be confirmed
Tickets 30E to 50E.
Angra Rock Açores
September 3 Flowing Tears, Lithium, The Temple
September 4 Rádio Macau, Star Industry; Penumbra
September 5 Reamman, Volcania + more to be confirmed
Ilha do ermal
August 25 to be confirmed
August 26 to be confirmed
August 27 Guano Apes
August 28 to be confirmed
• Olhão Shellfish Festival, August 10 to 15. At the Jardim Pescador Olhanense (public gardens). One of the biggest gastronomical events in the region. Shellfish rice shellfish bread stew, cataplanas, scaled horse mackerel, squid cooked in its own ink, baked octopus and the popular sardines. Tel 289 700 100.
• Madame Butterfly, September 17 and 19. At Coliseu dos Recreios, Lisbon
• Sport activities, until September 30. At Praia da Rocha, from 9am
• Charity dinner in aid of the Bombeiros, October 2. At Ponte Romana, 8pm. Four-course dinner: starter, vegetable soup, main course (choose between goat, slices of roast pork and codfish in cream), dessert and drinks. All for 18E (10E go for funding) Book by October 1. Call Vee on 282 799 681 or Angela on 936 384 275
• ‘Ladies Night’, November 13 (Saturday). All proceeds to the Lagoa Bombeiros. If you think you can entertain a large group of ladies, make them laugh, scream or swoon, then contact us. We also need sponsors, especially if your product is for the ladies (i.e. make-up, lingerie, etc). Contact Mandy on 916 450 717 or Steve on 918 256 556.
The Algarve’s Big Fair – At FATACIL from 4pm between August 20 and 29. Call 282 353 453.
• World Traditions – From August 25 until 29. For five days, six foreign and tree Portuguese groups, with more than tree hundred participants, will make Faro the world capital for folklore and traditional music. Call 289 825 527.
• Algarve Electric Party – August 14 – with performances by Lorenza from Brazil, is sure to make the atmosphere red-hot. Come and join the summer Carnival at Quarteira seaside avenue from 9.30pm. Call 289 400 600.
• Foam Party – in Alcoutim. Call 281 540 500.
A journey through time – Castro Marim transforms itself into a page torn out of a history book and recreates the mysterious and fascinating Middle Ages from between September 2 and September 5 at Castro Marim Castle. Call 281 510 778.
Scottish Country Dancing: Mondays, from 7.30pm to 9.30pm, at Porches International School. Call Isobel McGarvey on 282 332 612 • Handicraft Exhibition: Monday to Saturday, at CACE – Centre of Arts, Estói • Social Bridge Club: at the Hotel Garbe, Armação de Pêra, Fridays at 2.30pm. Call 282 312 594 or 962 339 888 • Cricket Club: All players welcome. Contact Graham Morgan (289 396 622) • Chess: Join the Lagoa Chess Club (282 342 982), or the Loulé Chess Club. Contact Konstantin (914 005 829). • Free the Voice/Free the Body: with Diana Lindley (282 332 854) • Let’s Walk: Guided walks. Contact Julie Statham (282 698 676 / 965 753 033) • Hash House Harriers: Meet weekly, pm. Contact Sylvia (289 413 854) • Poppins Mother and Toddler Group: Portimão. Tuesday 10am-12pm two to three years. Come and meet other new mums, chat, coffee and fun for tots. Wednesday 10am-12pm a time to chat, coffee and help your children to learn through play. No charge, just for coffee. For more information, call Linda on 282 086 804. • Over 50’s International Friends (IF Club): Meeting twice weekly on Wednesdays and Sundays in Portimão and Lagoa areas. Call 282 799 111. New members and visitors welcome. • The Aero Clube de Portimão: Gliding section always open to new members. Anyone interested in the sport is welcome. Sightseeing and training flights with a touring motorglider available. Call Jörg Herrman on 916 356 633. • FIESA Sand Art: Sand sculptures until September 22 near Pêra, between A22, access road to Algoz and EN125. Call 282 912 918 or 282 912 919 for more information. • Bodycombat, bodyjam, bodybalance, circuit and legs, bums & tums classes, at Hotel Zodiac, Fonte Santa, Quarteira. Contact Fitbods 916 255 774. • Women’s Walks: Monthly workshops and personal development with Walking Coach Nanette Kant. Tel 919 444 149 or visit www.innersteps.com • New Fleamarket: Every second Saturday of the month, from 8am. All welcome. Snack bar and children’s play area facilities available. At PlayOasis, Parque dos Recreios, Ferragudo. Tel 282 799 111. • Charity Quiz Night and Prize Bingo: Every Wednesday in aid of the APAA, from 9.30pm at the Slam Bar in Montes de Carvoeiro. Call Jossie on 917 251 551 or Jenny on 919 041 903. • Summer Jazz: at the Plough and Harrow Restaurant, featuring the Jazzmin Trio every Wednesday, and Jazz-Café every Sunday. Call 917 614 899. • Jazz: The Jazzmin Trio at the Bon Bon Restaurant in Sesmarias, Lagoa, every Friday. Call 282 341 496.